a dillydallyknitter: Blame it on the Medication

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Blame it on the Medication

What's a girl suffering from a post emergency root canal + raging sinus headache+ amped up on vicodin to do but to stay home from work and lie on the sofa and blog surf and post about my favorite holiday, Christmas.

I'll just put it out there right now that I love Christmas. I'm a certifiable Christmas geek and I love decorating my house for Christmas. As one of my friends so eloquently put it when she saw my house a few years ago, "Wow it looks like Christmas threw up in here."

I've been inspired and enchanted by the Cheapass Christmas series running on the blog hosted by the delightful Bezzie. Now, I won't even pretend that I could be as creative, thrifty and crafty as Miss Bezzie and I should confess that I have champagne taste on a diet coke budget but I do have some ways of saving $$ on decorating.

Year after year I've shivered in the cold at the crack of dawn the day after Christmas to take advantage of 50% off sales and build my obsessive collection of decorations.

A year or so ago my parents received this Christmas card:



I asked if I could keep it and then I bought a gold frame on sale and mat and turned it into a piece of "art":

Here's a fancy Christmas card I purchased half off at a fancy paper goods store:


Add a pre-cut mat and one of the 2 frames I got at the 1-cent sale:


And here's a second one I did using the 1-cent frame:


Close up of the vintage looking card


Ok, the meds have kicked in so it's time for a little nap.....

9 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about the root canal, and I do hope you are feeling better.

That said, your framed cards are wicked cute. Great idea!

-SSA

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Casey said...

I hope you're feeling better. Have some pudding/jello/soup and rest.

The cards are so pretty - nice idea.

Come decorate my place - I am ready to THROW UP on my decorations.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Root canal, fun. My mouth (and my wallet) ache in sympathy. Great idea on the frames and cards!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh yuck. Rootcanal AND sinus headache! You poor thing!!

I *love* your framed xmas cards! That's a GREAT idea! I've got a few that I've saved that I really like and that's the perfect solution for them.

I hereby dub thee a cheapass! ;-)

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Poor baby! Feel better soon! That totally stinks and been there!

Your cards, now as art are awesome! I save a few to do that..I just never get round to it! Nice job! :)

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Hope you are feeling better - dental work is no fun at all!

Love the christmas cards turned art! What a great idea.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Ingenious!!

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I was hoping you would give us a peek at your Christmas decorating:)
You did a really nice job on the cards turning them into artwork. I have a few Ikea cards in frames up in my knitting room. Feel better soon

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Rain said...

I hope you feel loads better soon. I always found steaming my head over a bowl of hot water with a few drops of eucalyptus oil helped the sinusitis.

I love what you did with the cards in frames, they look wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home