a dillydallyknitter: I'm a Knitter...

Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm a Knitter...

And I Vote.

If you're a United States citizen, knit the vote! (Ok, it doesn't sound as cool as Rock the Vote, but you get my swift drift)



On Saturday, Ceallach Knits & I took a class on lace knitting for the Flower Basket Shawl at Purlesence. Ceallach is already a decent lace knitter but this is my first major project. That night I was blogsurfing and found Lacevember and signed up.


My humble lace beginnings:

I'm using JaggerSpun Zephyr DK Weight which I thought would be easier to knit with that lace weight yarn. (haha, kinda like having a lace training wheels)

And am answering the Lacevember Questionaire:

The knitting questions, or the usual suspects

Q: How long have you been knitting?
A: About a year and a half

Q: How did you learn to knit?
A: I took a class at a yarn shop

A: Favorite thing about knitting?
Q: So many things. Knitting centers me. I work in a high tech environment and love that I can do a craft by hand that generations have been doing for hundreds of years. The Knitting community is wonderful too.

Q: How long have you been knitting lace?
A: I learned a lace scarf about a month ago and am not working on my first shawl.

A: Favorite thing about knitting lace.
Q: The fact that I can even made it to my first repeat!!

The yarn questions, or flash your stash

Q: Favorite lace yarn?
A: I’ve only started my first project and am using JaggerSpun Zephyr DK Weight . My scarf (still a WIP) is in Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool.

Q: Variegated or solids for shawls?
A: I tend towards solids for most of my knitting, except socks but would be willing to try a subtly variegated shawl.

Q: Favorite lace color?
A: Any

Technique, or show us your skillz

Q: Circs or straights?
A: Circs

Q: Favorite lace knitting trick?
A: I don’t know very many tricks yet but I learned the value of the lifeline last night!

Q: Lifelines? If so with what?
A: A lifeline saved me from tears. Unwaxed dental floss

Q: Fancy blocking wires, or just sewing pins stuck in your carpet?
A: I don’t have blocking wires so I’ll probably use pins on the carpet or mattress.

Pattern, or can you follow directions

Q: shawls or lacey items?
A: Shawls

Q: triangle, rectangle, or circular shawls?
A: My first one is a triangle.

Q: Charts or printed instructions?
A: Forcing myself to learn charts so I only peek at the printed when I get stuck.

Q: Favorite lace you've knit?
A: Hopefully it will be this shawl and that I’ll finish it before I qualify for Social Security.

Q: Favorite lace you want to knit?
A: More shawls

Just Fun, yup that's right, just for fun

Q: Favorite jelly belly flavor?
A: I like fruity ones

Q: Tell me everything you know about Eric the Red.....
A: { }

Q: Coke, classic or with lime?
A: Diet

Q: Holiday carols, sing along, or wish they would be banned from all public airwaves?
A: LOVE them. I fill my CD player and set my radio to the 24 hour “Sounds of the Season” station during the Holidays.

Q: What is the definition of irony?
A: When I was off of work, I had time to knit but no money for yarn. Now that I am working, I have money for yarn but no time to knit.

Q: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
A: As many as it takes to get the candy thin enough so I can crack into the center

Q: Why is my cat always puking in front of my son's bedroom door?

a) Because kitty loves your son and wants to make sure his scent is there
b) Because kitty is considerate enough to puke in the same spot so you only have to deal with one stain instead of multiple stains
c) Because kitty got a whiff of your son’s socks and couldn’t make it to the bathroom.

Q: What is your superhero power?
A: I can have a conversation with someone and pretend I’m engrossed but really be off wandering in my own thoughts.

Q: If the laundry is 9 foot by 11 foot (just dreaming, that's a big laundry room), and the walls are 8 feet tall, and you are going to tile the entire room in tiles that are 3 inches by 5 inches, what color should those tiles be?
A: White. I love the idea of a bright white laundry room

Q: What's for dinner tonight?
A: Whatever drive thru is convenient on the way home from work.

Q: What is clogging my children's bathtub drain?
A: You don’t really want to know…

7 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Is it bad that I may not vote tomorrow? Someone needs to come up with new-resident voter education. I have *no* clue what's going on in Texas.

There are lace tricks?! Who woulda thunk it?! Maybe that's my problem!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Casey said...

I'm a crazy cat lady and I vote! Vote for kitties! :D

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! Lace, awesome! Looks good and glad you know about the lifeline! WTG! :)

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Your shawl is very pretty so far.

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Shawl's looking good so far!

Re voting - should be compulsory (worldwide) I think. I'm very interested to see what the results of the US elections will be. It worries me some of the attitudes you hear, particularly about the environment, coming from the US. I know that's probably a minority but they always seem to have a pretty loud voice :(

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I love that picture! Voting is so important and so taken for granted. Thanks for the reminder!

By the way, I've had a link to you on my blog for ages but never noticed that it was broken and didn't show up. I finally fixed it this week. Just thought I'd mention it, I wouldn't want you thinking I didn't like your blog!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Cool for the lace class!

Good luck with the shawl, it looks like you got off to a great start!

And done and voted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home