a dillydallyknitter: Sometimes You Just Have to Start Over.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Sometimes You Just Have to Start Over.

Good-bye Lucky Oakland A’s socks.


I was about 5 inches into this sock when I realized that it was going to be too big. I probably realized it at 3 inches but stubbornly kept knitting on as if I could will it to fit. With a gauge of 9 stitches per inch on size 1 needles, those 5 inches represented hours of work and I just didn't want to start over. But finally, I accepted the fact that I could either continue knitting socks that would fit only a giant or I could start over and make socks that would fit the intended recipient, my Dad. So I ripped and I'll start over.

And then, as so many knitters have done, I realized the sock was a metaphor for my life as it is at the moment. After losing my job due to a corporate merger, I was having a difficult time landing the perfect next job. I was offered a couple of jobs that were not my ideal but, like the sock, I kept on looking.

When I’d arrive way too early for an interview, I would sit in my car and calm away any jitters by knitting on the sock. The sock came with me while I accompanied my Mother on her medical visits and while I sat with my Father waiting for her to come out of her shoulder surgery.

In the end I frogged the job search and accepted one of those jobs and I intend to make the most of it. Just as I intend to pick up the needles, cast on again and make the best damn lucky Oakland A’s socks ever.


P.S. My Mom is doing fine—while I sit with her, I’m working on a new sock. A pretty blue Koigu baby cable rib. As for the A's, they're currently in 2nd place in the AL West, with a 31-31 record.

5 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Hugs girl!! Lots of them! :)

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Does it seem that everything always happens at the sametime? I feel for you and if it helps, just remember this day(s) shall pass. Prayers for your mom and that you will end up being ok with your new job. Keep on trucking on that sock.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Ali said...

I'm keeping you in my paryers girls! Remember, it will come around, you deserve it.

Keep on keeping on :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see, we have people with prayers and hugs for you, and your mom.

I'll send prayers and hugs for the sock. I think it needs it.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way.

Good luck with the new job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home