a dillydallyknitter: (ôb'zhĕ där')

Saturday, July 29, 2006

(ôb'zhĕ där')

n., pl. ob·jets d'art (ôb'zhĕ där').
An object of artistic merit.

[French : objet, object + de, of + art, art.]

This week's Knitty Blog assignment: Objet d'art around the house. As you can see, my house is lacking in the art department:



But I did think of this handmade and hand beaded doll. She was purchased on a trip I made to South Dakota and created by a Native American Artist, Dorthy Ann Little Elk. Dorthy is a member of the Rosebud Sioux tribe and her work is been displayed in the Smithsonian. I wish I had a better camera to capture the detail of her work, which is exquisite.

She stands about 12" (30.5 cm) long. Her moccasin boots are 2" (5.1 cm) tall.

Back of her dress, with her tiny knife shield and bag:


Detail of back of her shoulder dress:

When I travel, I like to buy one small item handcrafted by a woman artist. Something small: A bit of lace in Ireland, a woodcut print in Hawaii, a little petit point from Vienna, a basket in the Carribbean.

I enjoy and rely on my hi-tech, electronic toys but I treasure my little baubles made by human hands.

______________________________________________________________

And now for something completely different, the gangsta kitties practice their synchronized carpet swimming:








12 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Gorgeous doll. I'll bet being a knitter makes you more appreciative of all those handmade souveniers you pick up.

And its official, your cats are nuts! Too cute!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

That is a lovely doll! Yeah, you have crazy cats alright!! LOL

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Libi said...

The doll is stunning.

Are your kitties going Olympic or professional? :)

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

It looks like your cats are doing what mine do: I'm kicking you in the head, I'm kicking you in the head, now I'm licking your face, I'm kicking you in the head again.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Westozcaat said...

what amazing beadwork on the doll. And yep, gotta love the things animals do.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Batty said...

The doll is stunning. And your kitties... Cuddle!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

My cats do that too - it's hilarious and sweet all at the same time.

That is a neat doll. You could always stick it in a shadow box and put it on the wall - instant art!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Ali said...

I do the same thing Christine. I buy something "artY' from each city I visit to remind me of my travels.

Gangsta-kitties is my favorite web-tv show. I need more episodes.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Karen said...

The doll is gorgeous. And your kitties are very cute. :)

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Ceallach said...

I also have a similar nail in wall, but mine is due to objet d'art falling off of said nail...

Link to the knitty thread, please?

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the doll,

But,

cat synchronized carpet swimming is way cooler!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

dude, where's the velvet dogs playing poker?

that doll is pretty neat. and this, coming from someone who is terrified of dolls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home