a dillydallyknitter: Project Spectrum for June

Friday, June 30, 2006

Project Spectrum for June

Blue

At a few hundred kilometers altitude, the Earth fills half your sky, and the band of blue that stretches from Mindanao to Bombay, which your eye encompasses in a single glance, can break your heart with its beauty. Home you think. Home. This is my world. This is where I come from. Everyone I know, everyone I have ever heard of, grew up down there, under that relentless and exquisite blue.
--Carl Sagan



June's Project Spectrum entry comes in just under the wire! I don't have a lot of blue items in my house so I took my camera to work today and drove around the town I work in, Alameda, and took photos out the car window. As I drove around the color blue started to jump out: houses, walls in the industrial side of town and the freeway sign that leads me back home. There are some beautiful Victorian homes and tree lined neighborhoods in this city. The sky was blue and the weather made it a perfect day to around with the windows rolled down. I couldn't get Flckr to format the mosaic correctly so here's the link if you'd like to see the photos in full.

Today I received an email from my very creative Project Spectrum Postcard swap buddy, Amanda of Mistress Stash Enhancer telling me her postcard had arrived! This month, I made a blue felted postcard out of knitpicks merino style and some beads:



I also finished a pair of blue socks made out of Koigu. These are based on the baby cable rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. This is the first time I've used Koigu and it was wonderful to work with. I can see why people make a beeline for the Koigu booth at fiber fairs.




My only sketch, profile, of Heaven is a large blue sky, and larger than the biggest I have seen in June--and in it are my friends--every one of them.

--Emily Dickinson

6 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger aija said...

Wow, that postcard is BRILLIANT! I'm so making one of those tomorrow, thanks for the inspiration! :)

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Ali said...

Great post. The pictures are very good and that postcard is awesome.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

My goodness that is a beautiful pair of Koigu socks! The pattern looks great in this yarn. Koigu is by far one of my favorite sock yarns.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Those socks are awesome!! Wonderful job on them!! Wow!! The pictures of blue around you are really good too! The postcard is very clever too! Nice job there! :)

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful montage! Simply gorgeous together, nicely done.

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your postcard is fantastic! I'm so glad its mine! hehheehe
Love your blue socks! They make me think of waterfalls. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home