a dillydallyknitter: Shoe Saturday

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Shoe Saturday

No Manolos, Only Memories...

So, in the way that only a bunch of crazy Knittyheads can do, Soapy suggested we start a blogstalking thing and we all freak because we think it's some type of phone-skype thing but eventually it turns into a blog thing and I still don't really know what we're doing but the other day Ali says something about "shooting shoes" and I'm thinking "hmm, must be some Southern thing" but it turns out that actually, few days before, Zib had suggested "we all make a mountain out of our shoes and shoot it" so....it's 90+ degrees here Chez Cpurl and my closet is just too damn scary to photograph so I decided to highlight some shoes and what memories they evoke (by the way, since I have discovered yarn I have severely cut back on my shoe purchases. I think the last shoe item I bought was a pair of slippers at Christmas time at Walmart)

"It's really hard to walk in a single woman's shoes -- that's why you sometimes need really special shoes!" --Carrie, Sex & the City



These are happy memory shoes (sandals, actually) because they went on a vacation I took with my friend Karen to Jamaica. Jamaica was my last real vacation and I had great time. The Ritz-Carlton, all-inclusive on an amazing, too-good-to-be-true-we-kept-pinching-ourselves steal of a deal. Cabana boys bearings trays of fresh fruit. Need I say more?



These Uggs are so old they were made before Pam Anderson had implants. I bought them when I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains, when "normal" fashionistas wouldn't be caught dead in them and surfers wore them to keep warm after coming in from the ocean. I loved living in the mountains. The house my roommate and I rented had redwood trees in the backyard. There was no "light pollution" so the stars were so bright that you felt you could almost reach up and touch them .



Next are shoes I was shocked to find that I had bought and never worn. Girlfriend needs to clean out her closet. But, if you could see how I dress these days, you hardly be shocked.



These are the oldest shoes in my closet. I haven't worn them in years and years but I can't throw them out because they came from a store that's no longer in business, I. Magnin. I couldn't afford to shop there, but the San Francisco store was beautiful. I think I got these from my Mother, who bought them on sale. The store was very Art Deco with crystal chandeliers and bronze elevator doors. The ladies room had white marble floors and individual rooms covered in floor to ceiling mirrors. Sigh.


Many, many years ago, I loved to hike. One year my Father and I spent every weekend hiking the hills and worked our way to a hike up Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. It's a 17 mile hike, uphill and takes about 10-12 hours. In order to ascend the rock, you have to climb up a metal cable ladder. It was a Big Deal for my Dad and I to look at Yosemite Valley from the top of Half Dome and now a treasured memory.

So here are the shoes I wore to work today. Just kidding. One year, a group of us at work (back in the day when I worked at a small company and you did that kind of thing) dressed up in a '70's disco theme. We had a blast. These boots have been stuffed in my closet ever since but they remind me of a wonderful group of women I worked with--and am proud to still be friends with.

My favorite fancy dress up shoes. Not comfortable but they do have titanium heels.


Vintage, flea market find shoes with lucite heels:

These days I'm a much more sensible shoes kinda gal. I can walk a mile in my Danskos (which I proved at Stitches West this year).
Impulse, middle of the night QVC shoe purchase:



People say she's crazy
She got diamonds on the soles of her shoes
Well that's one way to lose these
Walking blues
Diamonds on the soles of her shoes

--Paul Simon, Graceland

13 Comments:

At 3:07 AM, Blogger aija said...

I loved your post! Very neat tripping down memory lane...

 
At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! Love the shoes and the stories attached. Your boots crack me up :)

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Fríða said...

so many beautiful shoes!! I have this thing with shoes, whenever I come home from abroad (I travel a lot)my husband asks me "aren´t you going to show me the shoes you bought?", he never has a doubt in his mind whether I did buy any!
my best from Iceland
Frida

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Ali said...

You really do a great job at posting such descriptive and fun stories! I am veklempt that you quoted the Paul Simon song.....one of my all time favorites. The shoes you have are exquisite. LOVE the lucite heels, the titanium heels, the disco boots!

A+ for "shooting your shoes". And no one got hurt ;)

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC post, my dear, and LOVE the memories of Jamaica. My favorite vacation, possibly ever--plush accommodations, beautiful scenery, and the best company :) Sure, there wasn't a naked foam party, but still....

Can't wait for the next!

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Disco Boots call for ABBA, not Paul Simon ;)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

I love your shoes!
And I. Magnin.... *swoons*

I still wear boots like those white joints LOL

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh! Nice shoes there! hehe the things we can think about you now LOL! The red ones... :) zonda...darned blogger won't let me in....

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Those Lucite heels are genius!!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Fabulous! What girl doesn't need titanium-heeled shoes? Love the red ones. And the ones you've never worn? Why on earth! I love 'em! Hey, if you're a 9 send 'em on. ;)

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Great post. I love the shoes. I think those vintage shoes with lucite heels are wonderful. They look like cut glass.

Now I want to go shoe shopping.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

What a lovely collection of shoes, and the memories that go with them. I think the white disco boots are my favourite ;)

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Casey said...

You can't fool me. The last time I saw you you had those boots on, don't lie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home