a dillydallyknitter: Beware the Ides of March

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beware the Ides of March

It comes in the form of toe-up socks!

Having missed out on the 2006 round, I put a reminder on my calendar so I could be one of the first to sign up for the 2007 Rockin'Sock Club and am happily , dutifully knitting on my first sock.

As you've probably seen on other blogs by now, this is the first sock colorway called "Monsoon" and the first pattern is called "Inside Out". It's a toe up pattern with cabled legs that creates a reversible sock. So far this pattern has kicked my ass. This little bit of toe you see above represents about 8+ hours of work! I've a) never done a toe up sock before and b) never done a short row toe up sock before so I've now frogged the toe 3 times but I think I've got it.

I'm new to this sock club scene but I've never seen a pattern discussed on a blog so much! Mostly over trying to make the leg fit--the original pattern was written for a US size 10 (I'm a 6.5), it involves 2-4 changes in needle sizes and there's a 5/1/5 cable that knits up to an rather inflexible pattern so some people are using a size 2 or 3 and some have abandoned the cable altogether.

But I shall not give up! I shall persevere! I will have reversible socks! Hear me roar!

9 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

I haven't started this pattern yet I'm working on some socks for my husband - but these are next. I am expecting a challenge.

They look great so far.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Go Cpurl go!

You're the first person to have knit up that yarn that I've seen in my blog travels. It looks even better knit!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I would not have been able to attempt it, that's for sure:)
One things for sure, this colorway is out of this world awesome!! Totally loving it.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Good for you! I still haven't gotten around to knitting up any of the yarns I recieved via last year's sock club.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my kit yesterday and I've done the toe... I wanted to use some other yarn for it first (I owe someone some socks), but it was a thin yarn, so it was way too tiny LOL. I started over again with the STR. I've done a few toe up patterns, but have never used the short row technique and I must say me loves it!!! we'll see how the rest of the sock goes :)

Cheers Eva

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

The pattern sounds hard, but the sock looks great so far! Love those colours.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

The look great so far! I too am a bit worried from what I've heard. Go you! :)

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Fingers crossed for the sock. It sounds complicated, but the yarn is gorgeous so will be worth it in the end.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Your blog has some of the most amazingly composed photos. Not to mention great knitting and kitty content.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home