a dillydallyknitter: I Survived Stitches West

Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Survived Stitches West

...But My Wallet Didn't

XRX had a photobooth where you could send a e-postcard home. This is a tired & broke me after a 6-hour class on Saturday:

I had so much fun! I hung out with Ceallach and *LeftCoast Knitter and B, a blogless friend from knitting group. I didn't meet any Knittyheads (that I know of) but there were people there from all over the country. Sadly, they didn't allow photographs from the Market floor so I abandoned my camera in the hotel room and forgot about it and missed my chance to take some group photos.

I took only two classes this time: Toe Up Socks Your Way taught by Merike Saarniit and Fair Isle Knitting taught by Candace Eisner Stick. Both teachers were very knowledgeable and entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed both classes and walked away with new skills so it was money and time well spent.

Stitches held a 2-hour Market Preview on Thursday night for students & teachers and it's definitely worth going to since so many yarns and tools sell out quickly. Mostly it's a madhouse. Hundreds of knitters walking around with zombie eyes on complete sensory overload.

I'm saving my yarn posts for future YPFs but over the 3 days I was there, I did pick up a few things, like some cute freshwater pearl stitch markers ($8 bucks!)

Some teeny tiny sterling silver markers (great for socks or lace). And modeled by one of the ebony Lantern Moon Sock Stix I picked up to try (they come in a cute little bag):
I also picked up a couple of the new Addi Turbo lace circulars. The tips are sharper so I can't wait to try them. By Saturday these were sold out.

At the Fashion Show banquet on Friday night our table was having a bad luck streak on winning a door prize when suddenly the presenter called out ticket number "5-Oh-9"! It was me! I won a Duo Nocturne hand tooled leather tote bag! It's super huge and I kept getting stopped by knitters who wanted to pet it.
One cool thing about Stitches is meeting all the crafters and teachers who produce the patterns, books and products I lust after. At one point, LCK put me on a NO MORE sock yarn ban which was abandoned when we found the Fleece Artist. So here's my yarn haul:

Black Water Abbey (8 skeins + a pattern)

Fleece Artist

Lisa Souza (She was there!! I ran into the beautiful Nathania who was there with my fav LYS, Purlescence)

Ceallach Dyes (Busy woman: she looked great, is about to start a new & exciting job and was debuting her yarn at Full Thread Ahead's booth!!)

Cookie A. (Cookie was there too with her fabulous sock patterns (the girl needs to write a book) and her stuff pretty much sold out on Thursday night.)

Yarnplace (a local woman who produces gorgeous lace yarn)

Blue Moon Fiber Arts (they had one of the longest lines on Thursday night and people kept coming over to ask us what the fuss was all about. They must not have an internet connection.)

I guess I didn't do too badly. Some woman pull mini carts on wheels to haul their purchases around in. My favorites from last year, Brooks Farm and Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm had beautiful yarns again but I didn't find any in my colors. Now I just need the time to knit up the sweater, 12 pair of socks and shawl that this yarn is intended for!

I also bought 3 books. I'm not sure what crack they put in the water that makes you stand in line and pay full price for books at the Yarn Barn that you can buy cheaper online but it happens. I even renewed my Knitters magazine subscription so I could get a free circular needle tote case.

All in all, I had a great time and can't wait for next year!!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh my gosh, it all sounds so wonderful!!! I'm so happy you had such a great time, and I loved seeing all your loot. Those tiny stitch markers are adorable, I'll have to try my hand at making some of those. Can't wait for the YPF to see the closeups of the new yarns!! :)

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time! And have a lot of great souveniers. Looking forward to the next YPF and seeing some of your new yarn.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I loooove those fwp stitchmarkers! What a great price!

Can't wait to see the yarn up close and personal!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Dreamy, dreamy, fun!

Tell Bezzie that Aija, the creator of zero stitch markers has an etsy shop, and a blog. Email me if anyone wants the address :)

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! Love the yarny steps! I can just imagine the sensory overload!! Glad you had a great time and can't wait to see your first toe ups!

However! Congrats on that bag!! That is awesome!!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I LOVE that bag you won!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I took a class with Meirke! I'll be you could have said to her "one of my friends took a class from you recently in Charlotte. She was the hung over one that puked on the church lawn."

She totally woulda remembered me.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wooooo!

Sounds awesome!

Glad you had a great time.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Rain said...

Oh what lovelies. It sounds like you had a fabulous time.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I emailed you before I saw the second half of your post. Know that you are not alone in your Stitches madness.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

That bag! *Drools*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home