a dillydallyknitter: I DID IT!!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I DID IT!!

After 4.5 months of training and preparing, Team Unraveled completed the Breast Cancer 3-Day! I walked 60 miles in over 3 days! Our Team raised over $20,000 for Breast Cancer research and I got to hang out with some of the most beautiful, kick-ass women in the world.


Victory pose in the Holding Area at the Closing Ceremony. LCK, A, ME, Knitpyscho and Josie (not pictured is Sunbny who went home early with a hurt hip)

Our camp site for 3 days: Crissy Field, at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. Can't get a view like that at the Ritz Carlton! (but they do have better bathrooms)

LCK and I were interviewed for the Channel 2 Evening news! Lemme tell ya-seeing yourself blathering on TV after walking 20 miles and with no make up on is a real treat!

Our Team won the Best Decorated Tent contest for our section! If you remember, we knitted pennants to honor or remember those who have fought breast cancer in their lives. We took the pennants, made a bunting (using a gazillion inches of i-cord) and linked our 3 tents.



First night at camp--not many other Walkers camped out wearing hand knitted headgear! (Knitpsycho even has her sock bag in tow!)

At night, the Remembrance Tents honored those who we've lost to breast cancer and reminded us why we were there.


My friend, K, the best Head Cheerleader. EVER. She drove ahead, setting up cheering stations for our friends & family and stood for hours in the sun and wind cheering on not only our team, but hundreds of walkers...and she has a great sense of humor:
Norwegian cowbells rule!


My Mom, Sister & Dad were pretty awesome cheerleaders too--as were all our friends and family!


On the morning of Day 3. Some of my favorite people in the world. I'd walk to the ends of the earth for these women.


At the second to last Pit Stop on the last day. At this point, we had 4.3 miles to go and every step was a challenge-but we're still smiling!

Joy and an emotional ending at the Closing Ceremonies. Funny--I didn't feel any pain at this point....

...but I sure did when I got home!
This really was a life changing event. I'm so glad it's over but I'm so glad I did it. It was hard and it was fun. We had fights, tears, laughter and enough memories to last a lifetime.

Thank you all for your support & encouragement over the past few months. I've missed you! And now, I've got some knitting to catch up on.....

Labels:

28 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Casey said...

WAY TO GO! I'm so PROUD OF YOU and your feets!!!!!! :) Great job, everyone!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha, that cowbell sign made me laugh out loud! You guys rock!!

And how cute are your toes after all that walking??? I'm very impressed at that too!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger weezalana said...

WHOO HOO! We knew you could do it! So proud of you and the rest of the team! It sounds like you had a really amazing experience, too. Way to go cpurl and Team Unraveled!

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An incredible accomplishment! And an amazing amount of $ raised! Way to go ladies! You ROCK!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

WTGOOO!! So proud of you, that's quite a commitment and accomplishment. Owwie for your feets though, they deserve some TLC.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

I am SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!! I don't know if I could EVER be tough enough to do the 3-Day. You ladies are AMAZING!

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I'm so proud of all of you. See you soon.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Linda said...

You are all amazing doing that ... big hugs to you and your feet! I hope they feel better soon.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Congratulations! (And i could feel the pain in your feet in that bandaged picture!)

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Discoknits said...

My feet hurt just looking at that last picture. Your pedi held up so well too :0)

Congrats on being such a kick-ass human being cpurl, and raising a whole pile of cash to improve all our futures. Thank you ;0)

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Valkryie Knit This said...

Wow! Congrats way to go! I think you're my new hero. I've always wanted to do the walk, but never had the guts. You. Rock.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Thank you so much for posting all the details!!! It's so great to see all of the pictures and hear so much about your walk. Your team is such an inspiration!!!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Josie said...

Awwww... You're so sweet! I'd walk to the ends of the earth for you, too -- and we practically did!!!!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Aunt Kathy said...

AWESOME... next year I am going to walk it too... it's my goal to get healthy enough to do it

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Breast Cancer 3-Day said...

Congratulations!

We'd love it if you'd share some of your great photos on the official Breast Cancer 3-Day Flickr group, Facebook fan page or MySpace page.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Congratulations!! Quite an accomplishment. You should be proud of yourselves. Way to go!!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Oh, wonderful! You go!! Hooray.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Virtuous said...

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

I am over here just puffed up with pride!! Definitely a life changing event!
Congrats gurl for seeing it all the way thru your tenacity blessed others AND yourself!! :o)

Missed you in the blog world and can't wait until you catch your breath, relax, regroup and come back to us!! Yay!!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I have to agree..so proud of you !!!! Amazing!! Still got the goose bumps looking at all the pictures..amazing indeed!!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats!!!! And thanks!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger bmom said...

You should be proud -- that's quite an accomplishment. I can only imagine how much dedication it took, both in the preparation and then in the walk.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You should all be so proud of yourselves!!! Love the cowbell sign!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Congratulations! What an amazing thing to do. Now pamper your feet, they've gone and finished a tough job. I cannot believe your pedicure looks that good after 3 days of walking!

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Oh, well done you!! You must be so proud, and rightly so.

Sounds like it was a fantastic experience and one I'm sure will live with you forever. What an amazing achievement.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the pictures. The campsites were awesome!

With the money for research that you raised, we all win!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Kristine said...

You are all so amazing! Truly! It has been so great to watch your journey. To see all of you some together, and to give to such a great cause.

I love the decorations on your tent too.

And your poor feet...ouch.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Marisol said...

Wow what an amazing experience and of course so worth while! You all should be very proud of yourselves!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Jacqueline H. said...

Hi - it's Romy's friend Jacqueline (fellow knitter and crazy cat lady) - I'm training for the Nike Half Marathon and Romy said I "had" to log on and see your feet after the 3-day Walk. That's some amazing bandages and an amazing "feat". You should be proud! Meow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home