a dillydallyknitter: It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Before I'd Take a Wheel Out for a Spin...

During the month of May I took a 3 session Intro to Spinning Class at Deep Color Studio. We were allowed to rent some wheels and take them home for the duration of the class. I happened to end up with an Ashford Elizabeth I. We didn't get along very well at first and I had to put her in the corner:


The first week was horribly frustrating and I was almost reduced to tears. There was much of this:

And I missed the 2nd class because of Mother's Day. Luckily by the end of the second weekend, I was starting to getting the hang of it.

By the last class something "clicked" and suddenly I was able to spin. Not very well mind you, but good enough that I bought a lot of undyed Blue Faced Leicester roving so I can keep practicing. I also rented a Schacht Matchless wheel to try out.
I also bought some dyed merino to try out:

And some 70% merino/30% tussah silk blend



I'm excited that this is a 3-day weekend so I have an extra day to practice spinning!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

14 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Good luck with the spinning! The one and only time I tried it I made an absolute hash of it.

Maybe one day...

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ooo have fun!!!!

and be sure to post your results!

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend! It is really frustrating at first but you are right, after you get the "click" things go much more smoothly. Have fun!
-Your Super Sox Box SP

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Karen said...

OH HOW COOL!!!! I can't wait to see the beautiful fiber all spun up. :)

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! Spinning! And Yay for an extra day! I plan on spinning with some friends this weekend. I'd also really like to finish up the Embossed Leaves socks and Sizzle. Ambitious? We'll see what time it is when I fall asleep on the couch. Last night it was 9:30.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Cpurl-
Thank you for your nice comment about Fiesta! Your yarn is very cool. Well, have a great day!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks like a great way to spend the weekend. Goodluck. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger LeftCoast Knits said...

Yahoo- spin spin spin! And I know this little place in Sunnyvale where they have Blue Moon Fiber Arts and Lorna's Laces roving...

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Can't. type. too. jealous.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Yeehaw! Look at that fabulous roving!! Go you! Can't wait to see it spun up!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Wow, I bet they'll spin up beautifully.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Your going to have so much fun! You really have some amazing fibers to work with too!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger LavenderSheep said...

I really love my Lendrum. Though I would say try out a bunch of different ones to see what you really prefer. Sometimes, the first wheel you try isn't always the best one.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

you are so sucked in aren't you?! Look at all that roving (but it's hard not to drool over it from here!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home