a dillydallyknitter: Yarn Shops! Fiber! Friday!

Friday, February 02, 2007

Yarn Shops! Fiber! Friday!

This week I went on a knitting retreat in Santa Cruz with two other women from my knitting group. We spent 2 relaxing days knitting, yarn shop crawing and talking about knitting.

This was the morning view from my room. We enjoyed watching the surfers while eating breakfast. We spent our time there knitting, chatting, eating, sipping red wine and YARN SHOPPING. We went to 6 yarn stores! Here are a few of my favorites:

The Yarn Place in Capitola. This is a little house turned yarn store crammed with yarn. (Lots of Lambs Pride colors Zonda). They had a wide selection of all types of yarn and I finally found some Mountain Colors IRL to play with!


Another one I liked was Golden Fleece in Santa Cruz.
This knitted garment, knit by one of the shop owner's sister (who lives in Poland) was hanging on the wall in the workroom. I'm not sure what yarn she used but it was amazing:
I was wandering around the shop and the shop owner casually said, "If you need me, I'll be in the workroom opening boxes--we just got in a shipment of Malabrigo". And my ears went poink! like a German Shepherd. 8 skeins of burgundy never made it to the store shelves.

Again, I just can't get the right light but if I could describe this yarn, I'd say it was like a glass of deep red wine.


Our last stop was in my old 'hood of Felton. A cute little shop called Luminous Threads. Again, I thought of Zonda because, in addition to a good selection of yarns, she had a space in the back featuring quilting fabrics! The shop owner was very sweet and, while the shop doesn't have the biggest selection, the vibe is very warm and welcoming.





You don't think I came home with just 8 skeins of Malabrigo do ya? I had to exercise restraint (Stitches is this month!) but I did make a few more purchases. I just need to save them for future YPFs!

12 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh how cool away from work!! A great time I bet! Yeah..I probably would have gone nuts in those places!! ;) I'm just trying to behave before my own trip in a few weeks!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a fun week-- sounds like a perfect getaway for you knitters!!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oooohh, how terrific! Sounds like the ideal trip!!

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh, a knitting retreat! what a wonderful idea and what a great way to to spend time. That malabrigo is lovely!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds like heaven on a stick!

And I'm officially putting the word "poink" into my vocabulary!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Wow, looks like you had a wonderful trip! Sounds like a lot of fun.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Casey said...

Sounds like you had a nice time visiting all those yarn shops. It must have felt good to be back in Santa Cruz. Glad you're back, though!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

6 shops in 2 days?!!! No wonder you needed some red wine after all that! Sounds heavenly.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds like a great trip. And mmmmmm Malabrigo. Fabulous colour!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I'm drooling just at the idea of 8 skeins of malabrigo. let alone all that other shopping goodness!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Batty said...

8 brand-knew, fresh from the box skeins of Malabrigo! Your whole yarn retreat sounds like fun, but I'm drooling at the very thought of that wonderful yarn.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Heeee, I can just see how your ear went up when she said Malabrigo! My did too when I read that.LOL
I have never owned the stuff but sure as heck curious.
I loved the photos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home