a dillydallyknitter: Keep On Readin' in the Free World...

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Keep On Readin' in the Free World...

....or, Help Cpurl Destash Some Books.

This week's Knitty Blogstalkin' Assignment: Our Library


I'm lucky to live in between two local libraries:
The bronze sculptures sit outside the one in my town.














The next town over features these bright sculptures:


It was nice to see how busy they both were with a steady stream of patrons.



Chez Cpurl, I'm still dreaming of having a great library -- but I do have a number of books piling up in various corners, bookshelves and nooks gathering dust so I'd thought I'd share them with my fellow Knittyheads. Below is a list of titles below so if you see any you'd like to read, email me your addy and I'll send it off to you--no strings (or yarn ha ha) attached. The rest I'll haul off to a local charity.

Disclaimer on condition: While I treat hardbound books with reverence, I'm not so kind with paperbacks. These have been read on airplanes, commuter trains, the bathtub, during a meal or sitting in the corner gathering dust. I'll mail these off as time permits, using Media mail in the States and Surface mail to the ROW.

























Cpurl's Book DeStack list:

A Changed Man by Francine Prose
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris
Charming Billy by Alice McDermott
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
His Excellency George Washington by Joseph Ellis
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
I Don’t Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Jewel by Bret Lott
Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler taken
Life of Pi by Yann Martel taken
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides taken
Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult taken
Never Change by Elizabeth Berg taken
Patty Jane’s House of Curl by Lorna Landvik
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi taken
River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke
Road Song by Natalie Kusz
She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb
Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts
Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris
Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir
Sula by Toni Morrison
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon taken
The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greertaken
The Day I Turned Uncool by Dan Zevin taken
The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish taken
The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter
The Girl’s Guide to Hunging and Fisihig by Melissa Bank
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini taken
The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley taken
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon taken
The Sunday Philosoph Club by Alexander McCall Smith
The Tall Pine Polka by Lorna Landvik
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger taken
The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler taken
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston taken
Touching My Father’s Soul:A Sherpa’s Journey to the Top of Everest by Jamling Tnezing Norgay
Under a Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
When the Elephants Dance Tess Uriza Holthe
Wicked by Gregory Maguire taken
Whisker of Evil by Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown


So if any of these titles appeal to you, send me an email and if it's unclaimed, it's yours!

In knitting news, I've finished my California Hiker socks and one of my Mystery KAL socks. Zknitter and I are knitting the same mystery pattern so I promised not to post a photo until she finished her first sock. (She's a busy gal on the go!)


Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport Sock Yarn

9 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Oooh, libraries! I lurv the one with the book-on-a-stick modern sculpture thingy! Makes my librarian heart beat faster, it does.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

You are giving up Kavalier and Clay, The Mists of Avalon, and Wicked?! I LOVE all three of those... (Of course, I also own all three, so the destash won't help me much there. :D

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh waaaaaa I wanna see your sock!! BTW, too cute on the disguise...I can kind of see the yarn. Guess I know what I am knitting on Sunday huh ;)

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Jo said...

You have a gorgeous library! I would love to go there.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ha! I love the paper sack.

I'd love The Mists of Avalon! My best friend in high school looked high and low for that book way back when and I never did get a chance to borrow it from her once she got it. That, and the one about how I turned uncool or something. It sounds funny.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

HA!!! Best sock picture ever! It's in the sock-relocation-program isn't it?

Ah, I love seeing 1% for art pieces! That second picture looks like an open book resting on a sex toy of some type. Not that I would know what those look like!

If you have time and want to make a buck, can I suggest selling your books on Amazon marketplace (if they're not dibbed by knitter readers?) When we moved, the books that weren't selling for a penny on there (I freecycled those) made me enough for a skein or two of decent yarn.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

I love both of your libraries, especially the one with the children reading. A town's library says a lot about the state of the town.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger OLPP said...

oooh the unknown socks! remember that episode of 'eight is enough' when david was the unknown stripper? that just popped into my head.

peace like a river is probably one of the most wonderful stories i've ever read!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger dulcedosa said...

WOW! Great reading list!
I wonder if I can pick up some of these books from you while I'm in town next week?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home