a dillydallyknitter: D is for Depraved...D is for Decadence...And D is for the Day I blew my budget at Stitches West

Saturday, February 18, 2006

D is for Depraved...D is for Decadence...And D is for the Day I blew my budget at Stitches West

I survived my first Stitches West but I'm not sure my Visa did. The yarns for sale at the Stitches Market were amazing but I $pent the most time at the booths featuring unique hand dyed or painted fibers. My favorites were Brooks Farm Yarn, Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm, Abbey Yarns and La Lana Wools. I didn't purchase any La Lana as my yarn budget was already blown to smithereens but I can see why their yarn is legendary. Here are some yarn shots of what I walked away with.

First up: Blackwater Abbey Yarns from Aurora, Colorado:


A 2-ply worsted weight in a deep purple colourway. I simply HAD to buy from this booth as the proprietoress looked me over and exclaimed, "Oh, you MUST be a size SMALL!" I plan on using this to make my first Aran sweater.

Next up: Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm from Norwich, Vermont



I bought one skein (275 yards) of a 50-50 merino silk + 1 skein of matching 100% silk in a gorgeous blue-purple colourway AND a yummy turquoise 50-50 silk/merino that comes in 1,375 yard skein! This is a booth where it pays to get at early in the games, as each of these 1,375 skeins of yarn is unique and get snapped up quickly.

Finally, my favorite booth at the whole show: Brooks Farm Yarns from Lancaster, Texas. People were just ooohing and ahhing over the beautiful rich colourways they had on display.

I bought 2,500 yards of, sigh, a GORGEOUS Deep Red 100% kid mohair that is to dye for and one skein of their duet mohair-wool blend that I fished out of a Sale bucket.



The show is still open through to Sunday but I'm broke and tired and I've heard the crowds are vicious. Plus, I've got some serious Knitting Olympics to catch up on!!

Theme song of the weekend: "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne
Trouble, because I got into a lot $$ at the yarn market but mostly because I love this guy's voice.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh! Your yarns are gorgeous!! Love the red especially! Now I am glad it is not near here...would have no shame...

BTW..thanks but my socks are not my KO project...sniff, wished they were, but the took way long!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Excellent D!

All that yarn is wonderful - such pretty colours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home