a dillydallyknitter: Ho Ho Hum

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ho Ho Hum

Saturday Morning Holiday Scorecard:

I cracked up when I read this on Karen's blog so I had to steal her idea.

10 days before Christmas and here's where I'm at:

Christmas cards written = 0
Cookies baked = 0
Cards addressed = 0
Presents wrapped = 0
Halls decked = 1
Christmas gifts knitted = 3/5 (and I'm not doing anything ambitious)
Christmas shopping = 80% completed

And the one that scares me the most, so much so that I'm blogging instead of doing something about it:
House ready for guests = 10%

Last night I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" on TV while working on my knitting projects. This is my favorite part: We've learned that George has discovered, in a world where he never existed, his the pharmacist is an alcoholic bum, his Uncle is in the insane asylum, his mother is bitter and alone, her brother is dead but what what horrible, unspeakable fate has fallen on his wife Mary?

George: Where's Mary?
Clarence: Oh well...I can't...
George: I don't know how you know these things but tell me, where is she? If you know where she is, tell me, tell me where my wife is...
Clarence: I'm not supposed to tell!
George: Please Clarence, tell me where she is!
Clarence: You're not going to like it George...
George: Where is she?
Clarence: She's an OLD MAID. She never married.

So there you have it. I've suffered a fate equal to landing in an insane asylum or being homeless.

But, at the end of the movie, Clarence leave a note for George that says "Remember no (wo)man is a failure who has friends."

It this regard, I have indeed, a Wonderful Life.


This morning I went with muggle friend, newly Juris Doctored, KG to deliver the Adopt-a-Family gifts to a single Mother with 4 kids. It was so heartwarming and a joy to see her big smile as we piled her front entry way with gifts and food. As we drove off we were both beaming with huge smiles. Suddenly, my messy house, and impossible "to do" list are no longer a big deal.

14 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

I agree, after making that family so happy, other things seem to not matter as much. I'm quite sure it was all appreciated :)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Awwww...did you ring and run?

Ha ha, there are days where I'd KILL to be an "old maid."

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did have a good day, didn't we? And your adopted family sure did-- still can't believe the HUGE amount of gifts you got for them!! Outta control, and tres generous, thank you soooo much.

Your readers demand pix of the winter wonderland at Chez DDK.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post. It's so nice that you and your friend did that for a family in need. And, in my opinion friends are so important and special. I don't know what my life would be like without mine. (And I'm with Bezzie on having days where I'd like to be an "old maid". BELIEVE ME.)

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger sgeddes said...

It is always great when something like that happens to put things in perspective and remind us what is really important.

I'm not much further along with holiday preperations than you. We have company coming starting Friday so this week will be a whirlwind of activity.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!!!!!
xoxo-- a fellow (gasp) old maid

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Tee hee, thanks for making a list too. I've actually managed to write my cards and bake one kind of cookies . . . but we still have no tree. Ah well, as you said, that's not what the true meaning of Christmas is about.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Virtuous said...

LOL at list! I love it!

I shamefully have yet to watch that movie. I have heard so much about it it would feel like that was my 2nd time seeing it!

Yeah helping others in need definitely put this in perspecive...

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Somewhere on that list you need to put "Keeping the spirit of Christmas in my heart" = 100% for you it sounds like!!

I have to say I could just cut and paste your answers with mine. Oh well. Somehow it always gets done :) Three more days left of work!!

Can't wait til the new year...us old maids can finally meet up..hehehe!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Marisol said...

I Love this! I may have to steal some of your material for the next post:) Hey what if we start a chain reaction like we see happen so often in blogland:)

I love giving on to others! It is what Christmas is all about! I am sure that family will be very happy this year:) I think its wonderful that Corporate America is getting in on this year to year. We do the same thing at our workplace.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger knitty_kat said...

Good on you for the generosity to family in need! It really is far more significant that being ready for Christmas. Besides, we's gots some time yet - ya, ya! (runs off to knit).

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Exactly. THAT'S what Christmas is all about. Good for you. (and the rest of it will all come together somehow :0)

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

good for you! and I have to agree with Bezzie, oldmaidhood sounds pretty good some days... husbands are just like annoying room mates half the time!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

You are further along on your Christmas to-do list than I am :)

*hugs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home