a dillydallyknitter: Weekend Update

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weekend Update

Sunday Morning, 5AM

This Weekend my Dad & I participated in the Relay For Life by walking a shift on his church's team. If you're not familiar with the Relay, it's a fundraising event for the American Cancer Society where participants walk around a track for 24 hours to celebrate cancer survivors and remember those who have lost their lives to cancer. My Dad signed us up for the 5AM shift, gulp, but, fortified with some strong coffee, I made it to the track of my former Jr. High School.

The night before we attended the luminaria Ceremony of Hope which kicks off with a group of survivors walking a lap lined with candlelit (or, in our case, glow sticks)luminarias; each one bearing the name in honor of cancer survivors or in memory of loved ones. It's an emotional and moving event but concludes on a hopeful notes with a fireworks show.

Luminarias we sponsored for survivors to be: Mal's Mom (breast cancer), my Dad (prostrate) and in memory of my Grandma (ovarian) and Grandpa (lung).

In other weekend news, I went on a last minute dash to San Francisco on Saturday with LCK to pop in Britex in search of fabric for our SuperSoxBox Swap pals. Hmm, is that a cone of yarn I see in there?


My Mom signed up to knit a lapgan for a local hospital but then her carpel tunnel flared up so guess who's pinch hitting? It's an Encore pattern but I'm using good ole' Caron One Pound.


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Knitting and walking -- sounds great!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! 5am! Good for you! :)

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I agree. 5:00 a.m. on a weekend? You rock!

And how sweet of you to pinch hit for mom!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Kudos to you for participating in the walk and stepping up to the bat on your Mom's lapgan :)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

What a great cause - it's cool that you participated with your dad.

Good luck with the afghan - I always think blankets move at a glacial pace.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Aw, I think I saw something like that on extreme makeover home edition once. 5am, you rock. Good luck with the blanket!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

What a great idea - and cause. The 5 a.m. on a weekend must have been tough, but sounds like you had a great time.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Batty said...

What a great cause. I was too late this year, but I'm definitely doing it next year.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Rain said...

What lovely things to do for such good causes.

The yrn in the post below is gorgeous.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Rebel said...

Oooh oooh - you'll have to show off your lapgan. I have some of that blue cherry fabric, it's really cute.

And yay for running to support a good cause it sounds like it was a very meaningful event! - zuma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home