a dillydallyknitter: Weekend Update

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Weekend Update

Last night I went to Magical Mystery Knitting Party at the Knit-One-One studio in Berkeley. The studio is run by a lovely woman named Síle (pronounced "Sheila") and offers knitting classes, trunk shows, special events and outings. Last night was my first time there and Síle made me feel so welcome that I could have stayed all night.

Knit-One-One Studio


The Magical Mystery Knitting Party is led by an adorable woman named Kate Freeman who also works at Article Pract. You show up to the class with the required yarn & supplies and Kate leads you through the mystery project while the students guess what the finished object will be.
Síle also serves a delicious light dinner and wine and fabulous home made shortbread (if I had been left alone I would have snarfed the entire plate). In the past they've made wine bottle carriers, Easter baskets, needle pin cushions and last night we made:

A cabled coffee cup cozy! During the class the students are invited to guess what the finished project will be and the first thing I blurted out was "cat scarf" or, in this case, a cat neck cozy:


"Just make sure you get my good side"

No cats were harmed in the photographing of the cat neck cozy.

In other news chez Cpurl, I owe a big thank you to Disco for the lovely yarn I won in a prize draw (drawn by some very cute boys)


It's a very soft ball of Zitron Unikat 100% Merino wool in a charcoal to light grey colorway. Any suggestions? A beret? another Capitan?
I think I'll make another hat for the Sea Socks cruise. Disco, how did you know my warm coat has a grey lining? Psychic, you!

Finally, we had a bit of trauma around here last week. Seems Cary got locked in my bedroom closet all day last Tuesday and made a valiant effort to claw his way out. Fortunately, he's just fine.

And he was kind enough to give me a head start on replacing the carpet (although I hadn't planned on doing it just yet).

If it's still March 29 in your part of the world, you might want to knit by candlelight tonight in support of http://www.earthhour.org/. (I probably won't attempt lace however.)

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger speedyneedlefreeman said...

you totally got your cat to wear it! hahahhah- i am going to blog about it in a second!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh my goodness!! How cute is kitty!! I think I could totally get the doggies to wear something like that (well, bailey, but probably not puddles!). But I probably won't :)

SOunds like a fun night! Let me know next time you go...I'd love to join you!

That Disco rocks! Love that yarn!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I'll be knitting in my car in the dark doing laundry--does that count??

What a cool knitvity you go to go to. And it's nice to know you can keep a cat neck AND a cup of coffee warm with the same item.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Discoknits said...

I'm glad you like the yarn and the colour is just right for your coat :-) Couldn't have planned that better if I'd tried.

And I love your coffeecat cozy. You're so lucky to have so many yarny hangouts near where you live.

Have a great weekend.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's like the cat version of Tudora! Hee! Poor Cary. Looks like he needs his claws clipped, eh?

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would have loved for you to spend the night in the studio eating shortbread! And I can't believe that you got your cat to model the scarf---good kittie.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Virtuous said...

Ooh you had some great fun!

Love the cat choker! LOL

Cute coffee cozy!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

What an awesome idea for a knitting party. Sounds like a load of fun. Kitty looks very stylish in the cozy.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe, dual cozy, keep the coffee or cats warm!

How cool to go to that knitvity as Bezzie calls it ;) Um..yeah, we have a similar looking carpet!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Sounds like a really fun night out, and the finished item looks equally good on the cat and the coffee mug ;)

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Linda said...

That sounds such a great time out! Our cat does that to our carpets without being locked in anywhere!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Aaah, he looks so cool in his neck cosy!!! My cat would take your arm off if you attempted to make him be cute!

What a fantastic plce...shortbread is my MOST favourite thing!! I would have eaten the whole plate alone or not!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Aunt Kathy said...

love it, and when I am ready to replace my carpet can we hire your kitty to help?

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger weezalana said...

What a fantastic evening! Makes me wish I lived near there!

Wow, I am very impressed with Cary's escape talents. When I lock Hubster in the closet, he just takes a nap...

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I guess that was revenge for the cat scarf. See, bad things happen when you put cats in clothes! I think mine would take my face right off if I tried...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Ha ha ha, cat neck cozy!!! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home